For David Gray Construction, the Webster Residence project presented some serious challenges, starting with the home's location on a steep bluff.
Geotech Consultants began by conducting a variety of studies of the site, including a natural resources inventory and review of the site development plan, which resulted in a protection and maintenance plan for priority natural resources during construction, along with a plan for preserving natural water and drainage features. All trees on the site were preserved and a certified arborist performed all pruning.
Star Level: 4-Star
Verifier: Pam Worner, Green Dog Enterprises
|Site and Water
|Health and Indoor Air Quality
David Gray devoted equal care to reduce the home's energy use, starting with staggered-stud framing and BIB insulation. The space heating is hydronic radiant, produced using a Daikin Altherma air-to-water heat pump plus an evacuated-tube solar hot water system. A Lifebreath heat recovery ventilator ensures a steady supply of pre-conditioned fresh air. The radiant heating also improves the home's indoor air quality compared to a forced-air system, as does the total absence of carpet. To reduce the possibility of moisture problems caused by plumbing leaks, all distribution lines were kept out of exterior walls.
Another challenge was to maximize the mobility of one of the homeowners, who uses a wheelchair. The front and garage entries are both stepless, as are all exterior grade changes. Both the guest and master bathrooms are fully accessible, and all doorways are at least 2-feet-10 wide. The home also features an elevator.
Thanks to careful planning and detailed execution of every aspect of this project, the Websters are now able to enjoy a beautiful home that fully meets their needs.
Built Green Highlights
Site and Water
- Measures to protect critical area/steep slope, including:
- Natural resources inventory by a qualified professional.
- Third-party review of the site development plan for critical areas and habitat protection.
- Protection and maintenance plan for priority natural resources during construction.
- Tree pruning by a certified arborist.
- Preservation of 100% of trees on-site.
- Preservation of natural water and drainage features.
- No turf grass.
- Evapotranspiration-based irrigation controller with rain sensor and leak detection system.
- Staggered-stud framing.
- Daikin Altherma air-to-water heat pump for hydronic space heating and DHW.
- Solar water heating using SPP 30A evacuated tube collector.
- Lifebreath heat recovery ventilation.
- 100 percent LED lighting with no recessed cans.
- Operable skylight for heat flushing.